Sourav Ganguly while playing for KKR in IPL. (Source: Twitter)

Former India captain and current BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has said that there would be a loss of around Rs. 4,000 crore if the Indian Premier League (IPL) is canceled this year.

Not hosting the Indian Premier League (IPL) will cause losses to the tune of Rs. 4,000 crore which is huge,” Ganguly said during an interaction with Mid Day.

The IPL was slated to begin at the end of March but was first postponed till April 14 and later for indefinite time due to the COVID-19 outburst.

A number of cricketing and sports events have either get canceled or postponed due to the Coronavirus outbreak. The Indian team was scheduled to play a three-match ODI bilateral tie against South Africa. But the first matchwas called off due to rain while the other two were canceled due to the pandemic.

The Indian team though had toured New Zealand earlier this year where they lost the Test and ODI seris but won T20Is.

The first IPL match had to take place between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings in Mumbai. CSK skipper MS Dhoni had in fact, started his preparations for the tournament at the Chepauk stadium. Dhoni has been out of action since India’s exit from the World Cup 2019 after losing to New Zealand.

He wasn’t a part of the squad for the limited-overs fixtures against New Zealand while his name missed the team sheet against the Proteas as well. The former captain was also omitted from the list of BCCI’s centrally contracted players.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here