The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has said that it will review the IPL sponsporship deals with the Chinese company Vivo amid the tension at the border area.
As many 20 Indian soldiers were martyred in Gulwan Valley earlier this week in a clash with the Chinese troops.
Earlier, the board made it very clear that they won’t be dealing with any of the Chinese companies. Treasurer Arun Dhumal even said that they won’t hesitate in terminating the current contract with Vivo if the government asks them to do so.
“In the future, we will not give any contract to Chinese companies to build our (BCCI) infrastructure,” Dhumal told The Indian Express.
Taking note of the border skirmish that resulted in the martyrdom of our brave jawans, the IPL Governing Council has convened a meeting next week to review IPL’s various sponsorship deals ????????— IndianPremierLeague (@IPL) June 19, 2020
The IPL was scheduled to begin from March 29 but the COVID-19 outburst forced the cash-rich league to get postponed for an indefinite time.
Though, if the reports are to be believed, the tournament can start in September. The World T20 is also under dark clouds due to the pandemic. It was scheduled to start later in the year in Australia.
The Indian team toured New Zealand earlier this year. They won the T20Is but lost in Tests and ODIs. They were slated to play a three-match ODI bilateral series against South Africa.
But the first match was washed away due to rain while the other two were canceled due to COVID-19 outburst.