England debutant Ollie Robinson is reportedly getting dropped from the second Test against Nnew Zealand. Robinson’s tweets from 2012 had surfaced on social media and went viral.
He has though apologised for his ‘racist’ and ‘sexist’ tweets.
“On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public,” Robinson said in a statement. “I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist.”
There's a few things to note about Ollie Robinson's old tweets:— Danny (@dafrankland) June 2, 2021
1) This will almost certainly happen more and more, as players who have been on social media since their teens make their debuts.
2) Anyone can see your public conversations on Twitter. pic.twitter.com/pFbsNiOd1H
Tom Harrison, ECB CEO regarding Ollie Robinson's tweets "I don't have words to express how disappointed I am that an England Men’s player has chosen to write tweets of this nature, however long ago that might have been" #Cricket pic.twitter.com/yt0ZRjX0Ce— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) June 2, 2021
He continued, “I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I would like to unreservedly apologise to anyone I have offended, my teammates and the game as a whole in what has been a day of action and awareness in combating discrimination from our sport. I just want to apologize to everyone. I regret it hugely.”
According to the Daily Telegraph, Robinson may be dropped from the second Test.
“He (Robinson) had to say sorry to the dressing room, he had to say sorry to the world about what he did,” said Thorpe.
“So from that perspective it’s very hard for him but he knows he made mistakes. So at the end of the day, that’s why he had to make those apologies. But in our dressing room, we had to support him as well,” he added.